Sunday, November 6, 2016

Music to my ears


Image result for music genreImage result for music genre
   
"It is music to my ears." Have you ever heard somebody use that idiom when they are happy to hear something positive? Have you ever used the idiom that I've mentioned? Well, if something that you hear is music to your ears, then music must be a good thing, right? I love music! There is a genre for every one of my emotions, which are usually based on the moment. If I'm happy, I may like to listen to something more upbeat, like "Happy" by Pharrell Williams. If I have a headache or need some peace, I may listen to some classical music, or sounds of nature. When I'm relaxing, but still doing activities, like housework or grading, I like to listen to some French Jazz music or love listening to Billie Holiday!!!  When I'm running, I find that I like inspirational songs with a good beat that isn't too fast, or else my running pace will become too fast for me to keep up with and affect my workout. You may think that songs with a fast beat will inspire and push me. Yes, but you need to train your body for certain paces and distances. It comes with practice and patience. When I'm mad or have a moment that I would like to rock out, I find that I can never go wrong with some Metallica or Linkin Park. Now, some people may disagree with me and find that Metallica or Linkin Park is their "zen". I totally respect that and understand it as well. That is why I write this blog. What music genre do you listen to when you are sad, happy, mad, relaxed, sick, working out? Not only is music used to go alongside someone's emotion, but it is used in therapy treatments. Recently, I heard about a finding on NPR news on the radio, while driving to work, that playing familiar music for Alzheimer's patients, stimulates their minds and sometimes triggers memories that the patients can recall and even discuss. Music is "music to our ears" in many ways as we discover the many positive attributes that exist in music and its uses.

VOCABULARY:
idiom (noun) - an expression that cannot be understood from the meanings of its words, but has a separate meaning of its own
genre (noun) - a particular type or category of literature or art
upbeat (adjective) - lively, positive, happy
inspirational (adjective) - someone or something that makes a person want to do something or gives someone an idea to create or do something
pace (pace) - the speed that something or someone moves
affect (verb & noun) - to produce an effect on someone or something
zen (noun) - a Japanese form of Buddhism that emphasizes meditation; a moment of peace
finding (noun) - the results of an inquiry or investigation
trigger  (verb) - something that causes something else to happen
attributes  (noun) - a good quality that someone or something has

VOCABULARY EXERCISE:
Choose the correct word that completes each sentence.
1. Slow down, Paul! I can't keep up with your ____________.
a. feet          b. pace         c. music
2. There are so many __________ of films, but my favorite are comedies!
a. genres     b. uses         c. tickets
3. The candidate that has the best _________________ for the job, is the one that you should vote for this year.       a. power             b. attributes               c. people
4. Many acupuncture patients say that the hour of treatment is their __________ moment.
a.  only              b. work           c. zen
5. Many ENL students have trouble understanding _____________, because most of the time they are translated for their literal meaning. 
a. idioms          b. insects                c. planes
6. I like this song, because it is very ____________. It makes me want to dance!
a.  depressing             b. calm                  c. upbeat
7. What _________________ your dad to become angry?
a. triggers               b. feels               c. can
8. After a thorough investigation, the police department released their __________________.
a. answers            b. findings           c. dogs
9. That quote is very __________________! It makes me want to never give up in my studies.
a. inspirational         b. incorrect                   c. difficult
10. The student's behavior ___________________ the teacher for the remainder of the day.
a.  made            b. affecting             c. affected

GRAMMAR POINT:
Transition words and phrases are important devices for essays and papers that you will write in your classes. They improve the connections and transitions between sentences and paragraphs. Also, they give your writing assignment structure and organization. Some transition words that are used in this blog are now, also, and well. Please research 5 more transition words and compose a sentence for each transition word. Highlight your transition word in each sentence as well.

6 comments:

  1. I like your entry because it is totally relatable regardless of where you come from. Music is a very personal thing for some people and I like how you tied it into what transition words are and how they compliment writing. The grammar point exercise was well done and easy to understand. Maybe adding a few websites that you approve of, for authentic and correct content could also be helpful. Sometimes students still go to wikipedia as a main source for researching ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lilian. Yes, very true about Wikipedia. That happens to be the main "don't do" on any assignment for my class. It's amazing how much trust students put into an unknown source. Well, if the source is on the Internet, then it is reputable, right? LOL.

      Delete
  2. Excellent entry about music in our everyday lives. I tend to like folk music, folk-type rock, and church music. Everyone always pegs me for liking classicl music, which I suppose I like but never listen to. Mostly, I listen to music in the car. When I am home, I out the TV on for background noise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate. Many people find it funny that I enjoy country music. I tell them to please listen to the words. The story is what I find most relatable. Then, I have gained some compañeros.

      Delete
  3. My favorite singers are James Taylor, Neil Young, Carole King,and Sting. I love the music of Bob Dylan, but not his voice.I also used to listen to Gordon Lightfoot, Joan Baez, and the young Cat Stevens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great list of artists! I discovered Carole King's music when I was in high school and still love her work today. Have you seen the Broadway play, Beautiful? I hear it is a play not to be missed.

      Delete